PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2016, 12:50
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the discussion of the accident , all the foregoings and all the consequences
brings to light a philosophical reflection such as the one just posted then that has to be all to the good. If the advice contained therein is not sweetened to the point of a saccharine coated pill and hence likely to evoke responses not necessarily in complete accord with the message.

Even so, I would not like to be mistaken for disagreeing with the essentially life improving or enhancing thought train. . . . all I offer is a somewhat wry comment relating to new age 'philosophers' made prominent in the sixties with flower power and peace brother . . . get on the peace train.

John Clarke came out with this devastatingly satirical version of Gibran's set-piece - (which I was glad to trot out . . . the John Clarke version . . .when my daughter told me she had discovered Gibran and would follow him to the ends of the earth)

Clarke called it THE HALF-YEARLY PROPHET

And a Punter came forth, which was not unusual, and said Speak to us of Race 5 at Randwick.
And he answered and said:
Goodness me, is that the time?
People of Moron, I say to you, Wisdom is not in others. It is in ourselves. We are not others. Other people are. We are us. And yet they are not Them. They are merely an Us which does not include anybody here. Any questions so far? The world is a seamless cloth. Take shelter in it but do not expect it to fit.
Love and Understanding are but winds that bear the spirit.
Love may be given but cannot be taken.
Understanding can be neither given nor taken but is the string in the bow of Life.
We are not Us either, incidentally, I should make this clear.

Just a small one thanks.

Everything is its own opposite.
Paradox is that which is not paradoxical.
Only the living know death. Only the dead are living.
Only the lonely, dum dum dum dumdedoowah, know the way I feel tonight.

Jameson's if they've got it.

A cow has many windows, but only one rudder.
Reason is a tool. Try to remember where you left it.
If you are rich and you would give, give not your money.
The poor know nought of money. Give them of yourself.
A smile, a pat on the head, something of that order.
And he beckoned to the pilot.
I must take rest for a time, he said, possibly on Venus.
And he was gone.