PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a desk (professional pilot doing grad school)
Old 18th Jul 2016, 06:10
CRMCaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying a desk (professional pilot doing grad school)

Good afternoon everyone, it has been forever!

I'm a professional pilot in my late 20s, and I've been a throttle jockey for the past 10 years. I come from a civilian background, and I've reached this point the instructor way. At this time, I'm flying a regional jet from the right seat.

Other than my flying experience, I have a B.Sc. in aeronautics (pro pilot) and a M.Sc. in aeronautics with a dual concentration (management and safety systems).

My advanced degrees were just a way of stopping the loan sharks from coming after me, so I've never actually used any of them.

At this present time, I'm debating if I should get a PhD in aeronautics / aviation.

To be entirely sincere, I have no idea if it is worthwhile or not. I don't know any pilots with advanced degrees in aeronautics, and it's far from a requirement in this field.

That being said, I am actually planning on making some money during my lifetime. What I'm lacking is experience, and I'm having a very tough time getting that experience while flying airplanes for a living.

Since I'm still dealing with "loan sharks", leaving my job for a middle management position at a small airport or a safety director position at some flight school isn't really an option.

What I'm actually saying is that I'm impatient. I've started from the bottom as a pilot, and I can't afford to do that again as a manager. I guess what I'm asking is if I can cheat and add a PhD rather than paying my dues again.

Should I get a PhD?

Will anyone care for a B.Sc. / M.Sc. / PhD in aeronautics whose only quantifiable experience is inside the cockpit?

What will be the best way of adding management experience to my resume while still flying for a living?

*I'm not disgruntled, I actually still enjoy my job. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with these degrees.