PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow changed to Class D to save the industry money,Williamtown what's happening?
Old 18th Jul 2016, 05:54
no_one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Captain Bloggs, no need to shout.

I obviously wasn't making myself clear that I was talking about the system in the USA and its definitions and not the system in use in Australia. I have included the definitions from the FAA AIM below but have added the underlining.

FAA AIM:

3−2−4. Class C Airspace
a. Definition. Generally, that airspace from the surface to 4,000 feet above the airport elevation (charted in MSL) surrounding those airports that have an operational control tower, are serviced by a radar approach control, and that have a certain number of IFR operations or passenger enplanements. Although the configuration of each Class C airspace area is individually tailored, the airspace usually consists of a 5 NM radius core surface area that extends from the surface up to 4,000 feet above the airport elevation, and a 10 NM radius shelf area that extends no lower than 1,200 feet up to 4,000 feet above the airport elevation

3−2−5. Class D Airspace
a. Definition. Generally, that airspace from the surface to 2,500 feet above the airport elevation (charted in MSL) surrounding those airports that have an operational control tower. The configuration of each Class D airspace area is individually tailored and when instrument procedures are published, the airspace will normally be designed to contain the procedures.