PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2016, 21:51
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us not forget the original Daily Mail feature when everyone was led to believe she was flying solo and she got a magnificent send off including royalty.

More than 150 friends and supporters, including Prince Michael of Kent, The Avengers actress Dame Diana Rigg and Johnson's niece Judy Chilvers, waved Miss Curtis-Taylor off.

Dame Diana Rigg said: ‘Tracey is doing this in the spirit of all those lady aviators of the past and that is what I love about her, that quality of recognising the endeavour of what has gone before and mirroring it in this era.
‘There are lots of people doing extraordinary things, but Tracey is doing something extraordinary in what is virtually a man's world and I think we have to stress that.

Her knowledge of not just the plane but the engine is extensive and she can hold her own with any man.’

Read more: Tracey Curtis-Taylor takes off for Australia following in Amy Johnson's footsteps | Daily Mail Online
Perhaps the Master of HCAP can use that in his award speech in the autumn? Or maybe the Daily Mail will dig it out once the award has been made official at the HCAP dinner.

It is not often members of the Royal Family turn out to wave bon voyage. Surely Prince Michael must have asked who is the bloke sitting in the front Tracey?

I have seen him somewhere before?

Or maybe Ewald was just dismissed as an oily servant getting the aircraft ready and stowing the bags

Prince Michael certainly has been very supportive. Not many UK private pilots get this treatment.

This was Jan 2015..long before the chauffer driven trip to Sydney.
I had a brilliant visit with Prince Michael of Kent to the Museum of Army Flying, Middle Wallop, Hampshire on January 28th.We flew in a Lynx helicopter from Battersea Heliport on a freezing blustery day, and were given a tour of the museum and told about their very exciting development plans. Had a great lunch with the museum team and their VIP guests, and also caught up with a few old friends who were there to support the occasion.

http://www.birdinabiplane.com/news/