PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solent Collaborative Airspace Trial
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2016, 19:28
hobbit1983
Professional Student

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
destinationsky.

I am well aware of the benefits of the various levels of service. My point is that, sometimes, it's just nice to turn of the radio and go for a nice summer's evening bimble. This is permissible, you know (ever flown a Super Cub with the door open?).

You are responsible for navigation - not ATC. If you think you can navigate safety, without RT, and not infringe, on a clear summer eve, in good weather, with a chart and GPS, over an area you know well, you are allowed to make this choice in the airspace as it is now. You will have to face the consequences of your decisions, however in these circumstances I would be quite happy to do so, given my experience levels. Others may chose to do otherwise, as is their privilege. Yes, ATC may stop you infringing if you cock up; but under certain circumstances the risk is minimal.

Solent/Bournemouth CAS is such that flying from nearby airfields and around it, you could be termed almost always "near controlled airspace", btw.

To add context; I have been flying in and around Solent, in both a private and commercial capacity, for over 10 years. I know the area very well. To guard against human error, I also have a moving map GPS. To my mind, in the above scenario, I am happy - as the responsible commander of the aircraft, - with my navigational skills. To add further context; if I was flying in poor weather, in IMC, near CAS, I'd get a traffic service and talk. If I was flying the work machine, at faster speeds in and out of IMC where see and avoid is much tricker, I'd be on a deconfliction service outside.

The Basic Service, by the way, is IMHO of very limited value on the classic sunny weekend summers day when every bugger is calling up (with poor and over long RT on a fair few calls) for transits and BS. You'll not get traffic information; apart from an alerting service, you'll not recieve much of use. In those circumstances, I'd use the listening squawk. And, y'know, look out...

Incidentally, I agree that a transponder, if fitted, should always be used in ALT mode, as TCAS equipped aircraft and also radar units will derive clear safety benefits. My original point was that the uncontrolled airspace near Solent is not yet a RMZ; you are allowed to weight the options, risks, threats and arrive at a responsible choice. One responsible choice is, surprisingly, non-radio......