PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA A321 tailstrike.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2016, 18:07
Capt Ecureuil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAT 5
However you must consider the substantial threat that would be introduced by such a critical change in SOPs.

Let's consider another threat. It s a common held idea that the landing is committed to once TR's have been unlocked. Many over-run's have occurred when the smart move would have been to make a GA from the runway after touchdown. Who makes that decision? Certainly the captain and hopefully the PF. If they are one & the same it can be easier. Now, as the Capt/PF is just about to abort the landing and go off again, the PM selected TR's. Ouch. Never say never.
Back to the SOP. I've heard the defenders say "it is no problem, even RTO's." I've not heard a solid reason persuading us it is a better idea than the more common alternative. Until then I think we shall all agree to disagree.
Rest assured Ratty, the folks at BA have thought of that and it's all taken care of. Either pilot can call go-around any time until the reversers are pulled. Although I prefer to do it all the traditional way the BA SOP does work fine.
To be clear... No reverse is selected until the handler is ready for it (and the in the BA way, so is the NHP).

What concerns me more is a slide in slippery conditions and getting the reverse off.