PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Pilot to Civilian Flying?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2003, 00:46
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W.G

The 80-90% figure is unrealistic. I have experience of jmc, Air2000 and Britannia. All of these airlines have a large number of ex military pilots, but none of them has 90% that is for sure.

I think the 'desireable' pecking order for ex military is as you state, but I don't think these airlines make too much of a distinction; they either like the ex military product or they don't. jmc had a large number of ex helo guys.......probably due to the chief pilot's background in this area. I think Air 2000 had the largest proportion, many inside referring to it as the Air2000 'Squadron'.

Scroggs is right in that over the last few years the number of recruits entering these (and other airlines) from a military background has diminished significantly. When I joined jmc in early 2001 something like 100 pilots had been taken on in 12 months and the vast majority were not ex military. I get the same feeling from Britannia's recent intakes. So even if it was 80-90% it certainly isn't now and with the likes of CTC supplying low hours guys to airlines like jmc (Thomas Cook) and Monarch I think the trend has changed, probably for the reason Scroggs has stated, but also because a 250hr recruit is not going to be bleating for a command after 2 years with the average time for command in the charter airlines being probably something like 8yrs. That (probably coupled to cost/ risk) was certainly jmc reasoning for turning to CTC and low hours guys for all their recruiting needs.

PP

Last edited by Pilot Pete; 29th Jul 2003 at 07:21.