PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA A321 tailstrike.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2016, 07:55
Permafrost_ATPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nilfurther:

I had heard somewhere the Airbus refused to sign off on BA method of operating the 380 , is it true that there are still aspects of the way that BA operate the aircraft that Airbus aren't happy with ?
To be fair, the 380 top brass tried hard to keep the SOPs as close to Airbus as possible. And my feeling is a majority of BA pilots would agree that having the PM select reverse does not make a lot of sense nowadays. However you must consider the substantial threat that would be introduced by such a critical change in SOPs. And besides the potential for mishaps on the line once the new SOP is in place, there is there is the very difficult problem of how to introduce it and train for it. You can't really use the normal sim cycle to introduce it two pilots at a time and I would be surprised if the CAA were happy for BA to make it law without a sim sign off. I have a feeling this SOP is there to stay on the existing fleets and will only be changed with the introduction of new aircraft. I'm sure the 350 launch team will carefully review the safety data from the 380 to determine whether this change of SOP caused an unacceptable level of delayed reverse selection (I don't believe that's the case).

Regarding your question about Airbus still being unhappy about some A380 SOPs, I have not heard it from the horse's mouth. I could see why they might not like the speed selection below green dot, but that's pretty much it. The unusual announcement of FMA changes by both pilots (depending on colour) takes a while to get used to for DEPs, but I doubt Airbus would be that bothered about it. Other than that, it's pretty much Airbus SOPs.