PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you do your PPL in South Africa?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2003, 00:24
MVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I went to Progress Flight Academy (Port Elizabeth) in April last year,
I did 150 hours a night rating, C150, warrior and Rockwell commander conversions and went on a week long trip to Botswana and back.

The airfield is next to PE airport (actually within their controlled airspace) and a stones throw away from the local GF area. The instructors were first class and the whole setup very relaxed and freindly and providing your flexible you'll have a great time!

There's a great social life, as well as training atmosphere and you get equal opportunities to work hard and play hard!

I spent just under 4 months, 150 hours, 3 type ratings, Night rating, full room and board, maid service, 10 day safari holiday and all for less than 7000 pounds! In fact their complex single was so cheap I ended up doing most of my hours on that! (50 pounds an hour)

They do a JAA Module 1 course aimed purely at guys looking to do the PPL and hour building before starting the ATPL groundschool in the UK.

You don't have to spend the extra to go to 43 and we had two guys flying with us that had tried 43 and didn't like it! They complained about the lack of attention given to non sponsored pilots. ( A little like the complaints about Oxford) However I never flew into 43, just over it!

I flew into FTC in Joburg and was not at all impressed by them but perhaps they weren't impressed by my Progress uniform?!?

I would take with a big pinch of salt anything claimed about JAA aproved training in SA! and look very closely at the fine print!

Finally I think wherever you go you will have a great time, but remember DONT PAY UPFRONT...remember the old saying a fool/student pilot and his money are easily parted.

Pay in stages with perhaps a small amount in advance to show good faith (like 2/3 hours more) and any school that won't except those terms are not worth trusting!

Best of luck and feel free to email if you want to ask anything,
regards Rodders.