PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA A321 tailstrike.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2016, 23:23
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chris Scott;

As always, data for these events is happily sparse, but from flight data and discussions, a light, quartering tailwind, (~10kts), seems associated A321 tailstrikes, (I note that the wind was ~5kts, and a headwind). It makes sense particularly if the wind is slightly increasing in speed and other factors such as higher weights with that "transitional" lighting between day/dusk/night.

FWIW, I'm surprised that cadet-level experience appeared to be unrestricted. At 300hrs there just isn't enough experience even in the muscle-memory (autonomic) to handle some circumstances. I know well, the "how do you get experience except by experience?" argument, but I think handling these aircraft for a thousand hours or so within a reduced "bracket" of landing conditions will give the muscles and the hand-eye work time to cement, particularly if one has had some initial difficulty with the landing as has been commented here.

Like many who fly these aircraft, I've used the technique you mention on every aircraft I've flown and, judged well, it works. I do have experience proving the counter-example, especially on the B727. One can try it with the A330/A340 to beat the forward set of wheels to the pavement when the tilting mechanism "unlocks" the tilted bogies - they can slam the airplane down hard on the front set of wheels.