PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC programme "City in the Sky"
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2016, 11:44
Flying Wild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 25F
As moderately well-informed SLF I have been watching this on catch-up. Lots of it is not new, but then lots of it is really quite fascinating behind-the-scenes stuff I was not previously aware of or have not seen - the huge automated baggage handling systems, for example.

A couple of questions though.

1. I was under the impression that in-flight cockpit access was (since 9/11) strictly crew only, not even off-duty crew allowed - have the rules changed to allow the presenter access?

2. On the flight into Paro, Bhutan, the Captain in the left hand seat only had three stripes on his shoulder. Can't afford a new shirt? Do I not understand the stripes business?

You can watch that bit from about 2:14 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWsigCEIJvc
It is really quite an extraordinary approach, with the runway only visible fifteen seconds before landing.

You guys and gals are most definitely not the target audience. But I think I may try it on my kids (7 and 8) to see what they make of it.
1. It was a Lufthansa aircraft so operating under German CAA rules. I've sat on the cockpit jump seat of a European carrier in the last couple of years just showing my airside pass and having a word with the flight deck. Dallas was probably vetted and approved by the airline for the flight.

2. Could have been a captain under training?