PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA A321 tailstrike.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2016, 10:12
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps you would care to explain why the non handling pilot operates REVERSE on landing?
I'm sure you have SOP's that would seem alien and 'ridiculous' to us as well.

Regarding the latter, indeed. I've always been amazed how different airlines try to invent the wheel; trying to out-smart each other, even the manufacturer. To be fair, operators do sometimes evolve good techniques that are an improvement on FCTM. I wonder how much feed-back there is from them to the author of the FCTM. Most communication seems to be the other way round.
Regarding the former; is this a company standard on all types? If it is then there is a company culture: if it is just AB then someone in that fleet's management has to justify it. I did fly for a B767 operator, one of many, whose SOP manual had been written by a fleet manger who had been the private jet pilot of the boss in his early days and before that a B707 pilot. Knowing this it explained some plain whacko inclusions. B707 is an old steam driven 3 crew cockpit. He needed a clean sheet of paper to write SOP's for a B767, but tinkered with much of what he knew from a coloured past. Wow, weird.
I used to fly for another whose CP didn't understand much of the new wiz-bang VNAV & TOGA functions; so he by-passed them and we cleaned up in V/S until end of noise abate?????
I apologise for topic diversion/creep, but sometimes I wonder why we don't question more often, but act like dumb sheep.