PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robin DR400/180 stick back at start of the roll
Old 15th Jul 2016, 13:15
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A&C is more qualified to respond to that question that I am. All I can say is that at my club we've had at least one runway excursion (with damage) because of this locking mechanism, and probably quite a few near misses. Because of this, it is a specific item that needs to be covered during the checkout and club checks.

It's also a bit of an issue when manhandling the aircraft on the ground. If you push against the prop to move the aircraft backward, you also push up and thereby engage the lock. This makes it impossible to move the nosewheel with the towbar. You need to stop the aircraft, pull the nose down (by the prop) again, move the towbar to the desired steering angle, and then start pushing again. It helps a lot if you have a helper or two, pushing against the wing leading edge.

Oh, and come to think of issues, we've had two brake fires lately. One of which ended up with a burned wing that needed to be replaced in full, the other was fortunately contained to the wheel spats only. Reason? Wrong feet position during taxi. In the DR400 it is extremely easy to place your feet too high on the pedals, resulting in constant brake activation. When after the incident the club pulled the data from the engine (DR400-135CDI with the Thielert/Centurion engines and full FADEC) they found not just that incident, but actually several occasions where people were inadvertently riding the brakes and needing, in some cases, as much as 50% power to get the aircraft moving from standstill. This has now also been added to the checkout and club check lists.