PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2016, 10:25
Danny42C

Have a Care !

NigG,
Quote:
...(Arthur flying a Blenheim Mk1, off the Isle of Man, for radar calibration)...
When I committed my unthinking act of terrorism, was serving on a (Radar) Calibration Flight.

Rather beaten-up stub nosed Mk.1 ! One summer day in 1938, two 16 year old cousins propped their bikes up on the hedge at the perimeter of Wyton (?), and in hopeless envy watched a couple of these doing circuits and bumps.

Tony went into the REME, I ended with "wings and rings".
...but moved his wife and two daughters to the Isle of Man..
It would have been Ramsey (which is to Douglas what Southport is to Blackpool). We had a fortnight there every year in the summer hols before the war. Never saw it again but once, in small twin SAAB turbo-prop Newcatle-Dublin. Glass-clear day, he flew down E.coast, from window could see beach, harbour and Mooragh Park lake (complete with tiny island in middle) where I (12 ?) went solo after 10 mins instruction in little old tub with just enough sail to give steerage way.

Beating-up girl friend's house strictly forbidden - but often done But remember the "up" part. You should reach your low point before you reach the house, then climb up over the roof. Lovelorn swain goes over still going down, object of affections waving madly in garden, takes "eye off the ball"......CRRUMP ! Happened many a time.

Eheu, fugaces.....

Danny.