PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R66 crash in Wikieup, Arizona, U.S.A., kills 2
Old 15th Jul 2016, 06:09
[email protected]

Received 630 Likes on 272 Posts
Jellicoe
That reaction could kill you in a 2 blade system, especially the Robinson products. It seems a lot of people forget that the low G is not what kills you in this situation, its the fuselage rolling independently, underneath an unloaded rotor disc. In my opinion prevention is far better than the cure - i.e. slow down in turb, and or try not to fly too light in bumpy weather. But should you encounter a low G roll, pulling on the collective to load the disc will only make the roll and ensuing mast bump happen quicker and more violently.
You get the roll because the cyclic is ineffective and the only thing creating thrust relative to the fuselage is the TR. The roll occurs as a secondary function of left yaw (you have power pedal applied in the cruise) - putting in right pedal is effectively the same as applying collective without adding left pedal - it causes right yaw which will tend to oppose the roll.

As you discovered
In saying all that, I have experienced a roll in an R22 once (out of approx 400+ hrs Robinson time, mostly 44 but sprinkled with 22 and 66 time). It happened so quick that i was at 50-60 degrees before I could think about responding. Luckily my hand stayed still and did not correct the roll and we sort of swung out of it. From that point I decided that I probably dont have quick enough reactions to fix the problem after the roll, so decided that I would just slow down and/or not fly on really windy days in the Robbies.
it happens quickly and if you had added aft cyclic (instead of holding the controls steady) you would very likely have chopped off the tail.

Just how many accident reports of this phenomenon do people have to read before they understand it?