PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solent Collaborative Airspace Trial
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2016, 22:19
blueandwhite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan Olieslagers
There is little added value as long as there is not a one to one relation between any defined spot in airspace and a corresponding service/frequency.

While I must admit being not very well acquainted with the UK situation, I understand from the www that several planes may be flying quite close to another, all in class G, each listening and perhaps even occasionally transmitting, but on different frequencies. So they may well be communicating for all they are worth, respecting every rule, yet be on a collision course without anybody warning them. If I've got that right, it means R/T has little worth, OCAS.
It is possible for aircraft heading towards each other to be talking to different frequency. However even on a basic service the controller will normally advise that there is opposite direction traffic. Even if the other traffic is not talking to anyone. So the situation you are envisaging is absolutely possible, even though it is not something I have ever experienced and don't think I know of a single accident resulting from such a situation. There may well have been an accident, I'm just saying I don't know of it. In theory even if they are speaking to the same controller on a basic service they might not get any notification of a potential conflict. The last time I flew I was on a basic service and go warned about traffic that was not talking to anyone.

HOWEVER. If a pilot is worried about traffic he can just ask for a traffic service. Simples. Usually if you sound competent on the radio you will get a traffic service (I have never been refused).

(Hope that comes over as a simple and helpful comment. If you see what I mean.)

EDIt to ADD : I've had the situation that I have not been warned about non talking traffic as well. But thats not a UK problem, I've had it the other side of the channel as well.