PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2016, 21:39
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Not Missing what you never had

CLUNK The sad fact is incoming Cadets will never know what is lost to them.
The reason this thread has run for so long is because 'like you' and indeed me in a slightly later era we experienced a life changing opportunity without realising it at the time. Thousands of ordinary youngsters engaged in an activity that allowed them to fly a mil reg glider SOLO.Those like myself that were able to continue as Staff Cadets; and indeed Instructors, gained an experience and a first class entry into decision making and (unknown at the time) responsibility and organisation. We were given a huge amount of leeway in operating equipment and the running of an airfield so no wonder when we finally eased into the real world of employment nothing seemed impossible. There are thousands of us still out there who were given this opportunity, and are downright angry that such crass incompetence of the 'paid staff' have destroyed a wonderful organisation that was World Class. Just today i was lying on the grass under an aircraft fitting on a tow cable and thinking it all started 55 YEARS AGO at Kenley, and how lucky i was that i had the chance to have that opportunity. And whats on offer Part Task Trainers; might as well lay in a bath with a lap top, what a joke.