PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2016, 20:55
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first thing she should do is scrap HS2 and put the money into improving the lot of the long suffering commuters travelling between the UK major conurbations.
It will be scrapped, it's white elephant, and not particularly well thought through.

The money could better spent elsewhere: a Manchester crosslink between Liverpool and Leeds, HS3, decent rolling stock in the north and in the west, improved commuter metro-style rail in many UK cities, etc.. Also improving pinch-points and redesigning bottle neck junctions will help with journey times.

It's incremental improvements v. vanity project.

Philbky, I am more than aware of that. I used the word improve.

The rolling stock used between some of these cities is nothing short of disgraceful along with the constant delays that beset the working day of many a commuter. My train of an evening has been on time twice in 14 years! The present rail operation needs to be improved and made efficient throughout the country before spending money on the HS2 fairytale.
Exactly.

Ametyst1, why spend money on sticking plasters when a whole new system would improve speed and comfort between the cities? The French, Germans and Italiuans did it. Oh, sorry, forgot, we don't like Europe.
Because the money saved by scrapping HS2 could be used to benefit several communities throughout the country instead of a vanity project that only benefits 5 cities/towns in the UK.
Because local and commuter services are a greater priority and intercity services aren't so bad. London-Manchester/Leeds in 2hrs 15-ish is reasonable.
The problem with intercity services is ticket prices, HS2 won't resolve this.

Surprisingly, it is nothing to with Europe, not everything is.