PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2016, 15:55
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
"Just culture"doesn't mean prosecution if you make a mistake, it means a proper investigation should be made and no blame attached unless deliberate violations are proven to have taken place. I have made mistakes and had reports raised against me. The interview procedure was to find out why I had made that mistake and try to stop it happening again. And Nutty, the CAA follow the EASA rule that if you certify work, it is done in accordance with specific maintenance documentation. Certainly is the policy of my companies engineering management, they never condon pick and choosing the way of doing tasks outside the manuals instructions. I have grounded aircraft because I do not have the right bolt and the company have always never put pressure on me to use illegal alternates.
Alber it changed in my eyes when they brought in the SID inspections on Cessna's, they were originally issued as a SB, which EASA and the CAA said was not a mandatory requirement, Cessna then added them to the Maintenance manuals and the CAA then told me that the only thing that was mandatory in the manual was those items in Chapter 4 the EASA approved Airworthiness Limitations, now that stunned me so I did have a long discussion through emails on this and basically those items in the type cert and Chapter 4 were the parts they deemed mandatory, this was compounded by the fact that some of the Cessna publications were written pre ATA 100 so their limitations are published in Chapter 2, as they are not in Chapter 4 they are not recognised, it gets worse, querying it with Cessna I was more or less told they would not rewrite the manuals as it would then bring about another period of product liability. So getting back to the SID inspections for aging aircraft in the maintenance manuals I asked again and was told I could ignore them, so you now have a situation where it can be construed as it is up to the individual as to what parts of the manual they actually comply with.... Ohh and to put another cog in this barmy wheel, some countries in EASA such as Germany I believe made them mandatory.... So you now have a situation where EASA was brought about to standardise the maintenance and operation across Europe, except EASA have allowed individual countries to decide whether to make them mandatory... the total opposite of what EASA is supposed to be.... BTW I do them.