PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2016, 10:02
Just_landed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi people, just a quick query, especially for GF oldies but still open for all views.
Any insight would be appreciated.

I am right now working in my home country paying about 35% taxes, airline is very smart in running and has been posting continuous profits year after year, but its more of a dictatorship environment here. Doors are open for problems, ideas, yada..yada...but its just a illusion to let people keep thinking that they are heard. Safety record till date has been shining clear except for some incidents and turnbacks but all in all, average pilot age and experience in the airline is very less. Given this in view, safety and training standards are really low. Cabin crew are in direct touch with President of the airline as he thinks they are the face of the airline & if I am not exaggerating it, probably some under the table "exchange" is also happening between the genders. Airport commercial staff is given way too much powers as the big boss thinks they are ones running the actual show and we are there just to press couple of buttons and reap a fat paycheck, hence they start autoboarding, tell us when to go, when to wait etc. Right from my reporting time at the airport to door close, everything is recorded by some odd staff somewhere along the way and the report is sent by the commercial staff, and since they are being granted the veto powers, their version of the story is the only version when the call from the mountains come. AMEs are not to take any decision by themselves for any MEL invoking or revoking, its all centrally coordinated (or dictated), pilots are not to take any decision (but most of us still take it under the PICs authority for disposal of the aircraft). Rostering is handled by commercial clerks who probably haven't even sat as a passenger for once in the aircraft beyond 2-3 hrs at length for a fancy short local holiday sector and they teach FDTL based on "system". Its a one way command channel from rostering to pilots and cabin crew, return line is always clogged...so no use trying it. cockpit-cabin interactions are restricted to SOPs and exigencies, no good friendly interaction beyond that at all. In-fact cabin crew is officially trained in the ground school not to interact with pilots beyond the duty's call. Very suffocating environment thinking that as a PIC, you dont think a LRBL is needed for a tiny mobile phone found in some seat pocket which has already been used to receive a call by the following passenger, but the cabin crew think their SOP demands one to be made so they make it beyond PICs authority and the best part is, company supports them with all the applause and congratulations for doing the right thing... at door open and capt receives just a mail hours later to file a report, thats it.

All in all, this is what my current airline is, now comes the query.

I just want to leave and save that 35% tax for some quick corpus building and loan shedding years, if I am to work under dictatorship environment (one way-no 'you help me, i help you' kinda thing), Is GF a place which could suffice my requirement? I am currently 320 capt qualifying GF requirements, getting 8500 usd/month taxed at 35%, married no kids, looking at atleast 3-5 years of stagnant (no promotions) non-jumping job. most up-to-date salary and increments info would be much appreciated.

I have read posts in this thread from 2013 onwards, so I am quite aware about the company's recent history and track records.

Last edited by Just_landed; 14th Jul 2016 at 10:07. Reason: adding text, edit