PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Pilot to Civilian Flying?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2003, 19:26
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, Whispering Giant, but I think your 'facts' are wrong! There certainly was a time, 10 to 15 years ago or more, when the majority of Britannia's new hires were ex-military. That is most certainly not the case now - there aren't enough ex-military people, for one thing!

Of the major UK airlines, Virgin probably has the highest proportion of ex-mil pilots at the moment. Again, that is the result of past recruiting and doesn't really reflect today's situation - again, thanks to the lack of ex-mil pilots on the market. Virgin also welcomes ex-single-seat pilots and helo pilots - with enough hours. I'd agree that many airlines are a bit cagey about folk with just helo time, especially when it's a buyers' market, but most are very happy to take ex-FJ mates.

b025053, be very careful what information you trust. WG's input seems to be based on rumour and gossip - and I wonder if he may have been turned down by one or more airlines in favour of, in his opinion, ex-military pilots? Pilot Pete is a pilot with Britannia who meets and talks to his colleagues and is very aware of the changing backgrounds of his airline's new recruits as the outside world changes, as his past posts have shown. I am an ex-miltary pilot now working for Virgin Atlantic. Through this site, and being in touch with Virgin's (and other airlines') recruiting staff, I can assure you that my opinion is based on research and knowlege. Your choice who you believe.