PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hung Parliament - lost opportunity for reform?
Old 14th Jul 2016, 04:16
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Pilots need healthy egos to fly. They need confidence in their ability to master any situation, not breakdown and cry.

The common factor with pilots, surgeons, barristers and actors is that once they start an operation/flight/court performance they must go on to the end and finish it. This requires a certain level of confidence in ones own abilities - also called ego. Members of these groups cannot be tentative about the actions they take, they cannot suddenly say "hold everything! I need to study this situation! Excuse me while I take myself off and do some research". You have to perform with what you know and the skills you have available at the time. There is no one else who can do it for you as you realize a microsecond after you. lift off on your joyous first solo. It is also a solitary profession compared to say accounting.

As another Pprune poster wrote years ago somewhere, pilots are not comfortable with ambiguity, nor long winded decision making processes, they want an answer right now and if they disagree with the answer then they say so.

They don't beat around the bush because doing so with an aircraft will kill you. Thus they are not the logical folk to build an Association which must of necessity deal with Government ambiguity, long winded decision making, people perhaps playing fast and loose with the truth as part of political processes and all the other institutional touchy feely stuff.

This is not a criticism of pilots merely an observation that as a group we don't do the cooperation thing too well (perhaps it's just a male thing? ladies seem to work together very well)

This is not to say that pilots are loud mouthed egomaniacs, merely that a healthy ego is necessary for safe operation of an aircraft. A certain book about an A380 incident illustrates what I mean.

Looklefts comments demonstrate where excessive ego leads - to destructive name calling.