PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA Trident London - Moscow 1971
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2016, 16:20
WHBM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Just two years after that Trident visit the new domestic "Terminal 1" opened between the runways at Leningrad, separating domestic and international operations, the former had long predominated, and the older building dropped back to the limited number of international flights until replaced in the last few years. But at the time I'm sure that ramp was probably pretty busy. Wow, look at all those Tu104s in the background.

For me, it always reminded me of a Soviet high school of the era. Actually I found it quite pleasant, although in recent years it could get overwhelmed by the likes of the Transaero 747 charter flights to Turkish resorts. The concessions for duty-free and restaurants were grossly overpriced, but these have been transferred lock, stock and barrel to the new terminal with the same branding and the same characteristics.

Initial trip through there I, too, anticipated stereotypical KGB (actually FSB by then) agent staff, so I was more than a little surprised to find most of them were under-25 women, chit-chatting away to one another as we were stamped through, with decidedly western make-up around their classic St Petersburg big blue eyes, their military-style uniforms and Russian oversized uniform flat hats looking quite out of place. Out in baggage reclaim, a Russian middle-aged woman had her suitcase opened on the customs inspection counter, and was giving a poor young customs chap what for, at full volume. He is cowering back from the counter somewhat, doesn't appear to know how to handle this invective from a lady who probably resembles his mama, and is decidedly getting the worse of the exchange.

First welcome to Russia