PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video: Cable snaps on USS Eisenhower during landing
Old 12th Jul 2016, 09:23
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
'tartare asked: "Spaz - at around 18 secs on that `Bring her down some' video is that a rooster tail you can see on the water from the exhaust?! Did he flare, or just get caught by a gust... that seemed like a very high approach over the fantail."
I do not see a rooster tail at 18 seconds or at any other time. The approach appears 'high over the ramp' because IMHO the camera angle makes the approach seem 'high'. The LSO would not let that chap do anything crazy during the approach and if it was bad the aircraft would be waved off toot sweet - safely.

Looks like the throttle is brought to idle in error OR like the TA-4J 'throttle gets caught in the detent' (which is weird and requires a lot of imagination). Anyway the throttle does get to 'full power' soon enough to enable the aircraft to fly away. The A-4 undercarriage drops a lot in flight; so the aircraft cannot get too close to the water for ground / water effect to have much of an impact; but I can only guess. My only flared A4G landings were LPAs Low Precautionary Approaches at 160 KIAS with energy to flare - air force style above more usual Opt AoA no flare landings at between say 110-120 for example.

As for 'flaring off the front end' to stay out of the water I do not believe that has happened although we cannot see the attitude too well from camera vantage point then. The best performance is gained at optimum angle of attack so I would guess, having been well trained, that the pilot is at Opt AoA as the engine accelerates; or is at full power near the water to climb away at best. Pulling the nose higher is counterproductive in a delta wing aircraft unless JATO on.

This slow motion A4G arrest aboard HMAS Melbourne has the camera at a similar position I think - watch the 'hook runner' in motion.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 12th Jul 2016 at 09:46. Reason: add text & video