PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ discriminating against older pilots!
Old 11th Jul 2016, 18:38
Pakehaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerning the training,I applied with AirNz(2nd time)when the Airbus first arrived on the property,I'd already had 10+ years in the left seat on the bus,and thought that maybe this would be the edge into the programme.They were not impressed and offered me a S/O position,fair enough I said,and thanked them for the tea and ginger nuts.

I'm not sure how ANZ does their Airbus training(someone can elaborate)but Ive worked several contracts where it was strictly straight out of the Airbus manual,word for word,no deviation,except for some very minors details based on the aircrafts geographic base.I've worked for several(3)operations whereby the Airbus manual has been butchered to pieces and a programme devised for the very basic indoc.Both work!

My point,when it comes to training,programmes are developed to suit the airline and its operation.The experience depth of its pilots is where it needs to be geared too.A pilot coming out of the Boeing with a huge experience base,does not need to have the Airbus standard shoved up their rears to get through the programme,information overload is an issue here,a butchered version seems to get most through,whereas abnitio students etc generally do better at the book work,side of things.I have just on 20 years on this A/C,319-330,I'm always having to look something up,it never ends.This type of info can be garnished at a later date,not in initial training.

The phrase"what the bloody heck is it doing now"is commonly used by Airbus pilots. Obviously the longer you are on the A/C the easier it gets.Im not advocating individual programs for individual pilots,far from it,but Airbus "standard" has a history of jamming so much information down ones throat in the very beginning,I've found that to be not nessacery.In ANZs infancy with the Bus,the programme may have been as such,over the years they would have learned what was nessacery and what was not,the streamlining of a training programme makes all the difference.

No favours,no extra required training(some will never get it) no wasted sim sessions,Just a "tidy" indoc programme that deals with the basics,to fly and manage this Bus efficiently.Pixie fairies and the bottom of the garden,maybe?, there are always improvements to any programme,seems a shame to waste talent.Those that get through the programme easily and efficiently ,kudos to you,it just made it easier.

NB...I'm not defending the actions of those in the article,just merely commenting on the broader issues of training on the Bus