PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2016, 15:31
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
The RN covet the V-22 as a MITL/COD bird - and the new USN COD variant would seem to fit that spec quite nicely. I can't be alone in thinking that the extra fuel it carries would be useful for SF but a likely RN buy would be too small to allow them to use it. If the much touted enlarged SF "war chest" stretches to V-22 I imagine it would be the USAF SOCOM CV-22 variant, recently publicly trailed in all of the papers, that would be favourite. Rumours are rife on the extent of the "shopping spree" - but the niche use of V-22 makes sense (if affordable). Once it's in service, then you can start looking at other roles (Crowsnest, AAR etc). Re the F-35A, it makes a more sensible GR4 replacement than Typhoon, with the option to buy ever-improving small batches through life rather than have a costly attrition fleet sitting around (assuming, of course, you don't end up in a high tempo shooting war...). Lots of potential through life savings by buying into a large long running programme......just like with AH64, P8 and I wonder what else?