PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Mulls Stretching 777 to Knock Out Airbus A380
Old 11th Jul 2016, 13:08
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name one slot restricted airport which badly needs all A380s. Please note only 1% LHR movements are A380. Similar numbers with DXB.
As you and I are both well aware there are a number of airports, Heathrow being one - thus the third runway debate, where slot growth is severely restricted or not available. Slots don't just depend on runway/ramp/gate space, they depend on when passengers are prepared to depart and arrive, much of which depends on geography, not to mention noise rules. Air space is also under pressure in many terminal areas and not a few routes where it is restricted for military or political reasons.

Nothing in my post stated that any airport badly needs all A380s. Your interpretation of my words
Emirates on its own has the clout to push Airbus into either continuing the A380 as is or improving the breed and as slot constraints grow not only on runways but in airspace, Airbus would be foolish to kill the project as other carriers may have to follow suit, sooner rather than later.
is ridiculous.

There is a physical limitation to the length a fuselage can be. Whilst non metal products can offer greater strengths than traditional aluminium, the need to rotate on take off increases undercarriage height and/or position in ratio to length of fuselage and gate space also militates against ever increasing lengths and wingspans - thus the 77X folding wingtips.

There comes a point where the only way to grow is up. The 747 started it, the A380 has developed the breed. There will be more to come.