PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2016, 12:49
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only seen MAG, GIP, BHX, Boris' TfL & local resident action groups publically oppose it.
Selective vision is a wondrous thing!

a monocular focus on costs isn't the whole picture
Well it is a mighty big chunk of the whole picture and it is pretty obvious why the pro-R3 camp carefully avoid mentioning it.

in my business dealings a true measure of projects is value - something you've not referenced
Seriously? I don't want to make personal remarks ... but seriously???!!! You think I've not referenced value for money? That topic is at the heart of all my postings throughout this debate, and they're all archived right here on PPRuNe for you and anyone else to read. You say you don't want another round of previously repeated opinions and I don't see the point of digging up past exchanges either. But you really need to refresh your memory. Take a good look at our past exchanges.

the Northern Powerhouse is set for it's own £15bn of investments
Well that sounds great. But please itemise the amount of investment committed so far. I'm aware of a couple of hundred million for infrastucture feasibility reports. Will those underlying projects be funded? I can't wait to see the rest.

I hope you'll continue to argue that it should come from private investors too.
I unreservedly welcome private investment, but as you well know I have never argued against public sector investment. What I have argued for is equitable distribution of public infrastructure investment across the whole of the UK. I oppose the current situation which has seen London and the SE monopolise public infrastructure investment over the last five decades leaving the regions far behind. Another enormous public contribution to enable the LHR scheme can only exacerbate that divide. Don't forget, the pattern of voting in the Brexit referendum starkly set apart those regions which have enjoyed an investment boom from those which have been ignored and sidelined. Politicians have been delivered the bluntest warning that such division must be addressed without further delay. Another £15Bn slug of public investment allocated to yet another London project at this point sounds like a great way to tear the nation apart completely.