PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ discriminating against older pilots!
Old 11th Jul 2016, 11:13
Square Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, some of what I posted was tongue in cheek, ☺

….and I am the first to agree one needs to pass a check to the required standard, but my post was responding to a suggestion that old is too old, get out of my way, I am coming through (and a distress at extremely bad grammar and spelling that supported that proposition-mediocre is ok, but not extremely bad).

Don't forget that most Captains were First Officers at some time. I flew with some Captains that I could out perform in the Sim (not very many!!) and I now find some right seat guys outperform me (probably many). But the Sim or Endorsement training is just a part of it…online is the bread and butter.

Captaincy is not about being the best pilot, nor just a matter of having time in company. It is not a God given right, nor should it be achieved by kicking someone over the cliff. And as we all know, there are some that will never get there due to lack of ability, management skill or have the wrong personality.

I might not have liked some Captains I flew with, but I sure as hell respected them and the position. From that experience I learnt to give the First Officers I fly with a reason to respect me, just as I respect them.

As I say, my post was a response somewhat tongue in cheek, but I found the following comment completly disrespectable, and undeservedly directed towards older Aircraft Commanders…

…when they have riden (sic) the pigs back most of their careers….
BTW, I am not really that old, so I am not spending your inheritance ….just yet!!

Last edited by Square Bear; 11th Jul 2016 at 11:34.