PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fighter Command VHF/DF Fixer Net Early 1950's
Old 11th Jul 2016, 09:19
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I think India Four Two has the answer as ISTR Negombo's Station Flight had a Devon on strength.

Re snakes. Snakes were a problem on an earlier posting of mine to RAF Thornhill, S. Rhodesia, so with previous snakes experience under my hat I was pretty blasé about these worries. See here for photo:
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...ml#post8178203
Post #4621

...and across the island at China Bay we were troubled by bigger threats in the form of elephants that regularly foraged in the jungle around the airfield. They tended to stay in or at the edges of the scrub-jungle alongside the airfield and didn't venture onto the airfield or near the China Bay Homer itself. Still we were always a little anxious as to what to do if one came too close, Station HQ were not too informative and suggested if one came close we were not to worry!

I took this photo of an elephant in the scrub-jungle alongside the airfield. The adjacent bay had an unpronounceable Singhalese name, but because of the regular incursions by elephants to feed alongside the airfield we in the R.A.F. just called it “Elephant Bay”.