PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 11th Jul 2016, 08:10
slayerdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rog.. they did not shut down the engine as advised from the airline… they informed ATC of this situation but did not declare anemergency as there was still thrust avaible on the broken engine, however theengine was running at idle power. ATC decided to put fire services on localstand by… why it wasn’t on full stand by- I guess at that time nobody had a crystalball as there were no fire indications throughthe flight nor was there fire indications during landing.
The hardest and most agonizing 5 minutes for any airlinecaptain with an aircraft on fire is to be told to hold off the evacuation. Cool heads prevailed that morning with bothfire chief and captain for a successful outcome. However, if we sit at home andlook through the plethora of manuals and books, I am sure we will be able topoke holes at the performance of all involved.. however as I mentioned US-AIR 1549had holes … but it didn’t matter as everybody was saved!—really guys that’s allthat matters..
Survivors=POB