PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ discriminating against older pilots!
Old 10th Jul 2016, 20:48
Offcut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys are trying to turn this into a "young vs old" pilot argument. The simple fact is that these guys are getting far more training offered to them than an under 65 pilot and yet they are still not able to get through. What do you suggest? Lower the standard so they can keep a command? There is nothing particularly difficult about an Airbus type rating, it just requires work. If you turn up for the course at 9am and wait to be taught, you will fail, young or old. You need to put in a lot of hours on your own time and be genuinely motivated to pass. One of the big complaints is that the manuals are too difficult to navigate! Are you kidding me? They are written by Airbus. Should an airline produce an Airbus For Dummies big print version?

And for the guy who says he is only sticking around to prevent younger pilots being promoted to save us from ourselves, where do I start? It's not like the average candidate for command is a 25 year old " child of the magenta line". I don't know of any captains under 40, and would say the average upgrade would be between 45 and 55. These are vastly experienced pilots who pass their checks and get the job done. But hey, thanks for sticking around and showing us how it's done.