PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 10th Jul 2016, 16:41
neila83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parabellum
Far too many people here ready to ignore all available information and evacuate regardless, thereby possibly increasing the danger to their passengers, even more disturbing is their utter contempt for any one who suggests otherwise, pending examination of the facts. Had the fire breached the cabin then no doubt, the CC would have initiated an evacuation if the captain didn't, as they are trained to do.

For those so ready to condem SQ I suggest you maybe ignoring the other major carriers records;
Lufthansa
British Airways
Air France

Just to name a few, (and two of which are on my 'No Fly' list.)
I think the point of an evacuation is to get out of the enclosed space before flames get into it, at which point a lot of passengers will be toast. For whatever reason, it seems someone froze.

As has been pointed out, on the timeline involved other planes have been burning wrecks by the time fire services were on it. Fire spreads fast. It's pure luck it didn't end very badly, and you don't sit there with a fire burning crossing the fingers. Even with fire crew on the way, the fuselage could be aflame in seconds.

The videos also show a disturbing lack of direction from crew to pax. There seems to have been a collapse of authority and no-one wiling to make a decision.

I would normally agree we should wait for the report, but given the track record of SQ in this area and their government's efforts to protect the brand at all costs, (you won't get any Singaporean journalists asking tough questions) I think that's naive.