PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Breaking into Biz Jet Flying
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2016, 08:54
JonDyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-AINC
Don't do it.
Totally do it.

If you can find a way in then go for it. When I did my ATPLs almost no one in my class (and this was a modular class) knew that corporate aviation existed. I've spoken to many people since then who said the same.

I always wanted to be in corporate charter and I've never had any reason to regret taking that option over the airlines. Although it's true that this business contains some of the biggest tossers you will ever encounter - it also contains many of the finest. Cream rises to the top as well as scum.

Yes you will carry bags and help the FA with his shopping - so what? I carried Kylie's luggage once and she thought I was a baggage handler and asked me why I was travelling in the aircraft.

In our company we buy the milk, get the papers, drive the tug, top up the oils, file the flight plans and sell the charters. Sometimes we even fly the planes. We only employ people who love the business and we pay for their type-ratings.

It can be a tough employment market - but right now is the best time to try to get in as the airlines are hoovering up crew from corporates (at least in the UK). Networking skills are essential, tomuchwork and RAFAT are correct - but so are customer service skills and the two are not so different.

As for redundancy and being out of pocket - I know people who have had the fingers badly burned by airlines going bust before their TRs were issued. True, the big players are unlikely to do that to you, but you pay your money, you takes your choice.