PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 10th Jul 2016, 06:08
WingNut60

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
As I said multiple posts back, I do not know definitively whether the pilot made the correct call or not.
But I suspect that, had I been a passenger, I might have been a bit vocal about getting the doors open ASAP.

But putting aside the pros and cons .... what do you all (or all the proponents of EVACUATE EVACUATE) expect to happen now, about this particular incident?

Do you expect SQ to stand up and admit negligent nonfeasance (thanks Huck, I like that set of phrases)?
I doubt that that will happen. Open a Pandora's box for litigation by passengers who are, at least physically, uninjured.
And besides, do you think any other major airline would stand up and make such an admission?
Genuine injury cases can still be fought without admission of guilt by SQ.

Do you expect SQ to make a public spectacle of the Captain? I doubt that that will happen either - it would be tantamount to admitting some level of culpability - refer previous point above.

Do you expect severe disciplinary action against the Captain, crew or anyone else?
Some have called for his head. I doubt that that is either a) appropriate or, b) will happen when there were no actual or readily-identified negative consequences arising from his decision.
Some review of procedures and re-training might come out of this, but I doubt that this forum will get to know those details either.

And finally, do you expect SQ to invoke a stream of public, self-flagellation?
Good luck with that one, too.

Last edited by WingNut60; 10th Jul 2016 at 06:35.