PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Run-Ups: Where do you do them?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2016, 10:02
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TM

I will disagree purely on the basis of even a perfectly functioning park brake might not be SET with enough brake pressure or uneven pressure, and during the run up you then jump on the pedals to find that no matter how hard you squeeze it makes not difference. Yes I know you can reduce power and it should stop moving…..but that is easy for some to overlook.

Personally I am far happier holding with my feet, after all they are used to applying brakes, and brake feel is something you acquire quickly. My other reason for this is you shall not be head down, even at night it should be less head down. An instrument scan is all you do, you may select one mag and let it sit there for 10 seconds "watching" the EGTs all rising, but in reality you glance at the EMS, not stare at it.

So while I understand your concern, if done properly it is really not a concern at all.

Lastly, just because it is written in the POH, does not make it the best or smartest way to do things, especially when they were written long before the EMS was developed. But if you feel compelled to use it, go right ahead! But teaching advanced or better methods is something we should be aspiring to. And if a particular aircraft for some really good reason should not be done that way then fine, don't do it. Know your aeroplane! Most GA's I would say it is better not to.

Does that make sense?