PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Run-Ups: Where do you do them?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2016, 08:41
Me_3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tee Emm
Jaba W. As much as I admire John Deakin's "Pelican's Perch" engine handling series, I must say I am surprised when he said that run up procedures should be conducted with the park brake off and holding on the brakes by pedal pressure alone.
I'm not sure what aircraft you have flown, but when doing runups the park brake is dangerous...

First point, Taildraggers, at no point would I want to do power runs with the park brake locked. If the tail starts to lift for whatever reason, or one brake slips the last thing you would want is a locked up park brake.

2nd. any high power A/C. A simple 172 isn't really an issue, but doing a full power run on a lot of high powered aircraft the brakes can barely hold, or the tyres skid. Much safer to have feet on the brakes, and if it does move have some controllability. (yes, you also pull the power but having directional control helps)
If your wondering what singles won't hold? Here is a few i've done runups in during the last few months.
- DHC2 Beaver (taildragger also applies)
- C182 with O550 - just drag the wheels if the brakes hold
c206/c207 - just drag the wheels if the brakes hold
Glastar with 180hp - drags the wheels
C172XP - Drags the wheels if not careful

and i've seen plenty of twin drivers drag the wheels when they get the bright idea to run up both at once....

The park brake is a PARK BRAKE. To be used when PARKING, or sitting idle.