PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA evacuates at LHR-smoke in the cabin
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2016, 15:07
Pakehaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaikohe,wholeheartedly agree it could turn to custard very quickly.The bottom line here I believe is in constant training of how and when to initiate an evacuation.Because of the delicate nature,size of A/C,number of pax,airport facilities etc etc and mostly,the issue at stake,whether it be APU,engine cabin or a variety of others,information becomes gold.Where I'm at,evac training is done every 9 months(not enough) under a variety of situations.I learn something everytime I make a cockup,but at least it is controlled and I can self evaluate my decision making.

I have come close on two occasions in declaring an evac,luckily both occasions were indication issues,and it never eventuated.But at least the crew were prepared and trained,and the mindset was in place.Very seldom do you get evacs 100% right,if you have read the post-flight evac from the crew,something was either missed,forgotten or just plain lost in translation.An example being the Hudson water landing,Paxs standing on wings,I don't remember seeing the wing exit ropes being anchored???,please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kaikohe mate,just look back a few years,and I'm not pointing fingers,or scape goating anyone here,but there have been several Asian carriers, (LLC types)no names mentioned,but video and eye witness reports (a mate and pilot on one of these flights)show the crew evacuating before the Passengers!!!!. Lovely!! At least where I'm at,we try to do it right,like so many others ......Kapai