PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots threaten to strike over fatigue concerns - Telegraph
Old 7th Jul 2016, 12:38
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Tiredness is also often self induced or at least under an individual's control. It is up to everyone to take personal responsibility for their rest; you should know what hours and lifestyle the job entailed before you started; if you are not suited you shouldn't have become a commercial pilot.
(my emphasis); I did know in the year 2000 when I started flying commercially. However, over the years, and particularly since EASA, things have changed. Our earliest flight now has a check-in time of 0345z. As RAT 5 says; good luck getting sufficient rest on a summers afternoon/evening before that duty! Sound from my neighbours etc is NOT under my control - I can't just turn them off - and nor are my own circadian rhythms under my control !!

(At my own expense, I have installed black-out blinds, extra sound proofing in my bedroom, and headphones on the telly downstairs for Mrs Uplinker).

Company's will tend to roster us and work us right up to the "legal" limits, since that will help maximise their profits and minimise their operating costs. But how many EASA officials and managers do you ever see flying a run of earlies? Ironic really considering that all airlines will state that they consider safety to be their first priority?

The pilot community should stand up to this erosion of safety and there is absolutely no shame in doing so.

In fact to be honest I think the travelling public would expect us to.