PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 7th Jul 2016, 11:31
cee cee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Julio747
I for one need no more facts to decide that the flight crew screwed up on this one. The screamingly obvious is staring us in the face...

I feel sorry for him [the captain]. Evac evac would be a blameless call. The wing was on fire after all. But...

The real issue here is about Singapore culture, and at the heart, the education system. They pat themselves on the back for getting some of the best exam results in Asia.. But this is achieved through rote learning and following the model answer. None of them are encouraged to think for themselves. They tend to rely on others.
Am I the only one who sees the irony of this post? Julio747 suggests that the automatic (ie by rote) thing to do should have been to start an evacuation immediately, then suggests the reason that the captain did not do that is because of Singapore's culture of always following rules by rote?

I wonder what would happen if the captain turns out to be a Caucasian with an Anglo/American upbringing?

Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Are you suggesting that consideration was part of the SIA captain's thought process?
I think it could be possible, the event happened at 6:50am. That is just before sunrise at around 7am at this time of the year. So it is not very bright and passengers normally do not wear high-vis clothes when they travel by plane.

Last edited by cee cee; 7th Jul 2016 at 12:22.