PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Run-Ups: Where do you do them?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2016, 05:28
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few of the regulars here know me well. And I am a bit under the pump, but I planned to write a good response, so here it is, with a little help from a friend .

Mag Checks. Most done the way the instructor teaches are almost pointless in terms of testing the ignition components. It does prove that one of the mags have not been stolen . The best time to do a mag check is in flight, at high power and Lean of Peak. This is by far the most diagnostic and with an engine monitor the best way to define a problem. Period!

In order of diagnostic value it goes like this;
High Power in flight LOP looking for all EGT's to rise
High Power in flight ROP looking for all EGT's to rise
1700+/- a bit on ground LOP looking for all EGT's to rise
1700+/- a bit on ground ROP looking for all EGT's to rise
The way you were taught full rich and looking at RPM drop.

These can be done easily on the run or static when on the ground, as you gain experience. Newbies might be best to do it in a run up bay or holding point.

If you own the plane, the only one who flies it, and did a mag check on the way in last flight, then a 1000 RPM flick/EGT's all rise, flick same again….good to go. Of course an EMS is required . High power prop damage is an issue so the less you do this the better.

After any maintenance do a serious 1700 or so RPM LOP mag check and study it on the EMS for about 10 seconds on each mag. I trust nobody or nothing if anyone has been under the cowl other than to check the oil.

As I am not keen on typing pages, the original poster could well learn a lot from reading this article written by my colleague and good friend John Deakin, who I am pleased to report is doing really well for an old fella when Leisa and I spent the day with him two weeks ago in sunny Camarillo.

Pelican's Perch #77: Startups & Runups - AVweb Features Article

magical flights I hope this helps you