PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2016, 22:20
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step Turn
I had never heard of the HCAP until this thread.

Participation in HCAP has never been a factor in aviation as I have known it for the last 40 years.
I accept that the Honourable Company of Air Pilots is not widely known amongst Canadian light aircraft pilots but that should not lead you to underestimate its standing in Canada.

Our affiliated bodies include 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron RCAF, 19 Wing RCAF Comox, the Snowbirds and Harbour Air Seaplanes - the world's largest all seaplane airline. As well as being an affiliate, Harbour Air was awarded our Cumberbatch Trophy in 2012 for its outstanding contribution to aviation safety. The trophy was proudly displayed at their Vancouver Harbour terminal when I visited in 2013.

My North America schedule, which began at the Boeing factory in Seattle and ended in Washington DC two weeks later, included discussions in Ottawa with the Director-General Civil Aviation Transport Canada and then with the Canadian Transportation Safety Board (3 Board members, Chief Operating Officer, Director of the Air Investigations Branch and 12 senior air accident investigators.)
And, in Montreal, with the Secretary-General of ICAO (accompanied by the Director of Safety Standardisation and the Chief of the Flight Operations Section),
before flying to Washington DC for discussions with the FAA's Administrator for Policy & International Affairs and with the Chairman of the NTSB accompanied by two heads of aviation departments.
NB: None of the above meetings was in a personal capacity. All took place because I was representing the Air Pilots.

You will, I hope, be pleased to learn that Canadian aviators feature regularly in our awards.

In addition to the Cumberbatch Trophy mentioned above, I had the privilege during my year as Master of presenting the Prince Philip Helicopter Rescue Award to the crew of ‘Rescue 912’ from 103 Sqn SAR RCAF who successfully rescued three hunters from a Newfoundland ice flow in blizzard conditions with winds so strong that the helicopter was flown the final two miles to the rescue point backwards - the pilot positioning the nose into the storm to achieve a more stable flying platform.
The crew came to London to receive their award - as do recipients from all over the world, every year.
http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/5365...ml#post8395071

I had the privilege of presenting two Master's Medals:
Lt Cmdr Vince Jansen, pilot in command of a US Coast Guard MH-60T which rescued four shipwrecked fishermen from the Gulf of Alaska in the face of twenty foot seas, near zero visibility, blowing rain and icing conditions.
Kodiak-based Coast Guard pilot recognized on 2 continents for exceptional airmanship

Winch-woman Sgt Rachael Robinson of 22 Squadron RAF, who was subsequently awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal.
See: http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...er-2013-a.html
The citation is worth reading. See post 5.
(I gave her the medal but I have no doubt that what she will remember is being given her certificate by Captain Jim Lovell!
See post 17.)