PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 6th Jul 2016, 19:48
turboshafts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am trying to understand how the rotor mast are supported in the sun gear
and how the bearing loads would be if the rotor came out of control as a result of a crack in the conical housing leading to conical housing separation.

This question is supported by the fact that the secondary planetary gear carrier where the sun gear is attached is significantly bent, which could be a reason that the rotor mast upper mounting on the conical housing is no longer supporting the upper side forces of the rotor mast. (The rotor mast is inclined before separating from the sun gear)

this could be supported by the fact that there was no HUMS and magnetic plug readouts supporting any problems related to the MGB operation before the accident.
there are no indications that supports an actual gearbox jamming (from what I read and heard)

Would it be a possible scenario that the conical housing failed first?
And this is caused by a damage due to the rough handling that is not discovered?

there are two things that I find points towards this

the direction of the helicopter in relation to the direction of the rotor
after the separation from the aircraft.

if there was only a shearing of the gearbox, while the rotor still in a motion horisontal to the aircraft and MGB mounting plate
the rotor would also spin horisontal to that after separation due to the strong gyro forces.

If there was a breakdown of the upper bearing of the rotor mast and conical housing could this have lead to the rotor spinning out of control?
and if it was still supported by the lower bearing could this explain why the outer ring gear casing is broken, and whythe planetary gear carrier is bent?

if you look at the angle of the rotor on the videos available
it is nearly 45 degrees to the horisontal which a helicopter would normally travel.

would there be any serious argument against such a scenario?

Last edited by turboshafts; 7th Jul 2016 at 12:08. Reason: grammar