PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does the friction adjustment on push-pull throttles work?
Old 6th Jul 2016, 17:32
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
How does the friction adjustment on push-pull throttles work?

I'd always assumed there would be some sort of compressible washer that would grip the sides of the plunger more firmly as it was compressed. But I have to confess I never got round to dismantling one in a rental aircraft. In my own aircraft, when you unscrew the friction adjustment ring, it exposes a cylindrical chamber with exactly _nothing_ inside!

In practice it works acceptably well. The throttle will gradually work itself closed if you don't pay attention, but that's why they teach us to keep one hand on the throttle during take-off, isn't it... What it stops me from doing however, is pretending to be a test-pilot. How fast can I go at 2200 rpm, with what fuel consumption? I can't tell because I can't keep the rpm on target sufficiently accurately for any length of time.

Now, I understand I have to get my inspector to check over any control modifications, but I'd like to come up with a solution for him to rubber-stamp. Hence the question, what - assuming anything - should be in there?