PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots threaten to strike over fatigue concerns - Telegraph
Old 6th Jul 2016, 09:20
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiredness is also often self induced or at least under an individual's control. It is up to everyone to take personal responsibility for their rest;

So there I was, back in the day, with a summertime 05.30 report. Going to bed nice an early, like a true professional; listening to the Caribbean music from my neighbours BBQ and the slamming of car doors as they left at midnight.
Or, trying to sleep in the crew hotel, after a night flight, to the sound of other crews coming & going and the soft music of vacuum cleaners.
There was not much 'under my control'.

you should know what hours and lifestyle the job entailed before you started; if you are not suited you shouldn't have become a commercial pilot.

Get real. It all depends who you work for and on what fleet. Starting out as a shiny new PPL/CPL you have no ida where you will end up. There is not such thing as 'the life of a commercial pilot'. The spectrum of possibilities is huge. It is also one reason why I changed airlines 8 times; as we'll as a couple going bust.