PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2016, 20:42
mathy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Volare

Consult the June 2001 Highpoint Rendel Report. SHG will provide a copy if you ask nicely. I am surprised that you do not have a copy particularly as you have been a very active and useful participant in this forum. I assumed that you had all documents from the St Helena access website.

Now as to maps. You have Google Earth?
Plot 15°57'16"S 5°39'42"W; 15°57'53"S 5°38'39"W and you will see that it is not strictly Prosperous Bay. The take-off runway was to be RW14 facing into wind with a paved length of 2190 metres. You will also see that the seaward end is roughly where the NDB "ST" is. As you know the long runway exploits the SE Trade winds but the high ground and cloud on Bonfire Ridge and Diana's Peak precludes the opposing direction. All these details were lodged at the time for public consultation though they are now of historical interest only. That is until the time people start asking questions as to why much of the Atkins study recommendations have not been followed up. Atkins made is clear that their studies were predicated on prescribed proving flights using the actual proposed aircraft types. There were not done. Prosperous Bay Plain is windy, turbulent and the winds across King and Queen Rocks are capricious to say the least. It is a bit late now.

This for me has been a very painful process from the beginnings in 1999 to date. I have, moderators please note, had some pretty vituperous private hate mail forcing me to discontinue my internet service provider. If you all don't mind I think I will withdraw completely. But there have been lighter moments such as when the Royal Navy completely failed to provide meteorological soundings up to 3000ft AAL but a rating flying fliying a radio controlled glider powered by a piece of knicker elastic provided subjective evidence of where and what the problems were. Just sublime.