PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 5th Jul 2016, 18:59
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The older I get the more I try my best to be open to alternative points of view that are contrary to my “conventional wisdom”.

I am trying to be open minded with the line of thinking that it may in certain situations be safer to remain inside a burning aircraft.

The video below shows a truck spraying a continuous stream of foam into the fire for over a minute without any noticeable decrease in the size of the fire.

Obviously the fire crews were victorious as there is ample video showing foam dripping from the windows and the fire clearly out, but only with 20/20 hindsight.

However, having completed the evac checklist and pausing with a finger on the PA ready to say those magic words, it would take nurries of steel to sit and watch that fire for over a minute patiently waiting for the fire to be bought under control.

What exactly could the fire crews say to you over the radio that would convince you that the best course of action would be to NOT evacuate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZyrEvxiccQ

Ian W,

You really have taken the argument to the extreme. No one is suggesting that the decision is to be conducted without thinking.

But this was a significant fire that was not easy to knock down.