PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2016, 11:17
mathy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed in most respects BB. Precisely what I have been advocating a few posts earlier. When space is short pave the entire length. Take heed of Airbus and Boeing and declare an LDA of at least 1850 metres, build the darn thing and what is left over is de facto RESA.

The ICAO is a UN organisation and can make general recommendations, SHG acts on the best advice of ASSI and has the power to relax rules where local exigencies suggest it would be wise.

The thing is that SHG were stung and shamed by their inaction and massive loss of face that they insisted on 240 metres RESAs. Actually they wanted 300 metres but that is ludicrous, there would not have been any useable runway at all. It was a dog-in-the manger stunt to spike Shelco's proposals.

Shelco had in mind a 2200m declared distance for the take-off only runway and the paved length of the landing runway was to be from S15 57 00 W005 38 46 to S15 58 08 W005 38 44 which is 2090 metres exactly of solid concrete. The RESAs were to be 120 metres at each end - concrete NOT kitty litter - leaving 1850 metres LDA. Fully 300 metres more than the miniscule Atkins proposal.

But SHG forced the RESA issue. Shelco's engineers were Boeing and Arup, well aware of the winds issues and withdrew deeming the single short runway unworkable. They played no further part though SHG asked for all the records of boreholes, trial pits etc that Shelco had spent half a million pounds of their own funds gathering.

So instead of TWO runways we have ONE runway, very short but with huge RESAs. And humungous earthworks. Basil Read also proposed to do away with the culvert and SHG agreed. Something they may have cause to regret if the present runway needs more room.

Now if SHG climb down and start paving over RESA people will be entitled to ask what then was wrong with Shelco's ideas in the first place. I submit that no way was SHG going to have private enterprise interfering and their adoption of 240 metres RESAs was no more than a ruse to scupper the best laid plans of Boeing/ARUP. It was pure dog-in-the-manger stuff.

As regards the DVOR I am led to believe that "IW" who was engaged by SHG/ASSI to work up the plates is one of those who is on the case. Watch the ATNS website ATNS: AIr Traffic Management for updates.

I maintain an interest as an expatriate Saint. I will close by reminding all that this has never been about tourism per se. It is about access. Too many people have died before a ship could call and HMG has a duty of care to provide access for the needy, the infirm and those wishing to have gainful employment overseas and be free to return speedily to their families should emergencies arise. No doubt tourism will be a boost and the Saints will manage it wisely.

What have you heard me say? Bad go, Worse Come. Those are the words of Saints referring to the succession of Governors. Governors, 4000 souls on three islands need Governors?? We need energetic shirt-sleeve inspiration. Not pixx-potical Governors.

Best wishes