PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will a 744 do Brisbane, Australia to New York Direct?
Old 5th Jul 2016, 10:30
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will a 744 do Brisbane, Australia to New York Direct?

So a number of questions I am hoping that those who know for sure might be able to answer.

Assumptions:
50 passengers with 30kg of baggage
500 kg freight

Could a 747-400 fly from Brisbane to New York Direct with the above payload?

What would be the average cruising speed with that payload? ( have seen everything from 413kts to 525kts quoted).

What would be your best guess with prevailing winds for a mid March flight of the ground speed/flight time?

I know the last question is at best a wild guess but I am hoping some experienced guys or girls on here may be able to provide a ballpark figure.

I am in the early stages of planning a charter for a large group and we want to use a 747 as (I believe?) they are faster than the A380 (time is of the essence - shame the Concord isn't still flying!) and saving 30-60 mins is essential. We did look at the 787 but my client has decided on the 747 just because it is a bigger billboard. I have not yet approached any charter companies or airlines, as I am just entertaining the possible at this stage. If it is remotely possible then it gives me some ideas to go off and we can proceed to formally approaching some providers.

If anyone knows of a faster aircraft that may have that range with 50 pax, I am all ears.

Last question, what is a 747-400's max cruise speed, where fuel burn is not a consideration, with 200 pax and over no more than 3000nm?

All answers very much appreciated.

Cheers
CB