PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2016, 06:58
ampan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who was it who said that youth was wasted on the young? Ithink it was me, just then.

As regards the programming of the simulator, at page 220 of his book, MacFralane quotes part of Captain Johnson’s evidence. Although a lot of Captain Johnson’s evidence was disupted, this bit wasn’t:

“Before commencing the [simulator] exercise the area inertial navigation system was programmed through the computer display unit (CDU) by First Officer Cassin and, to the best of my knowledge, First Officer Gabriel , using a sample manually produced Antarctic flight plan dated 10 October 1977.”
The flight plan is shown at p104, the waypoint being at McMurdo Station.

As to whether he was actually VMC, are you seriously contending that he was? The aircraft was flown into the side of a mountain which, I accept, no-one ever saw. So what more evidence can one possibly need?

Whether he believed he was VMC is slightly more debatable. He certainly knew of the problem, even if he might not have experienced it before –just like you young drivers know of the danger of driving down an unlit country road at night with no headlights, even if you’ve never actually done that. The point is that he correctly identified the visual problem and, again correctly,was going to go elsewhere. Then the offer of the radar assist, which was accepted and announced to the passengers (and F/O Lucas). 15 minutes later, the inexplicable off-the-cuff descent.

It’s not that he didn’t believe he was VMC according to me, or according to Chippindale. It’s that he didn’t believe he was VMC accordingto himself: “Very hard to tell the difference between the cloud and the ice.” (A comment conspicuously ignored in Mahon’s report, Mahon’s book, Vette’s book, MacFarlane’s book and Holmes’ book.)

Last edited by ampan; 5th Jul 2016 at 07:32.